By Shannon Sarna for The Nosher
Burekas are an easy appetizer to throw together using store-bought puff pastry. If you don’t like ground lamb, substitute ground beef. You can also make a vegetarian version by using tofu or feta cheese with the squash. You can make burekas ahead, freezing them once they are assembled, but before the egg wash.
Before the holiday or when ready to bake, glaze with egg wash and pop in the oven per directions below. They also reheat well in the oven at a low temperature and can even be served at room temperature.
2 sheets store-bought puff pastry, left to thaw at room temperature around 30 minutes
½ lb ground lamb
2 cups cooked pureed or mashed butternut squash (can also use sweet potato or frozen butternut squash)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion
½ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp ground coriander
¼ tsp cinnamon
Pinch red pepper flakes
¼ tsp salt
1 egg beaten for glaze
Sesame seeds, nigella seeds or poppy seeds (optional)
1. Heat olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Sauté onion until translucent. Add spices to pan and cook until toasted, around 1 minute. Add ground lamb and cook until no longer pink, breaking up into small pieces with a wooden spoon as you cook. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
2. Combine butternut squash and lamb mixture in a medium bowl.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
4. Roll out each sheet of puff pastry. Cut each sheet into 9 even squares. Using a rolling pin, roll out each square slightly.
5. Scoop one heaping tablespoon into the corner of each square. Fold puff pastry over filling, forming a triangle.
6. Using the tines of a fork, crimp the edges.
7. Repeat with second sheet of puff pastry.
8. Brush each bureka with beaten egg. Top with sesame seeds, nigella seeds or poppy seeds if desired.
9. Bake 18-22 minutes, until golden on top.
Haggadot.com is a project of Custom & Craft Jewish Rituals, Inc (EIN: 82-4765805), a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt California public benefit corporation. Your gift is tax deductible to the extent allowed by law.
Anyone you invite to collaborate with you will see everything posted to this Booklet and will have full access to edit Clips.
You will not be able to recover your
Are you sure you want to delete it?